Monday, October 05, 2009

Yellow Jackets Are Bitchy Assholes

What it is, reader! I write this from a Bendryl induced haze so I apologize in advance if I don't make a lick of sense.

Friday afternoon at work as I was reaching into my bag to get some gum I felt a painful pinch. I yanked my hand out of my bag and this was attached to my finger:



I flung my hand to get it off of me and nearly cried like a baby. It was surprisingly, awfully painful so I took some Benadryl and ibuprofen and iced it for a while. It seemed to work so I thought that was the end of it. A few hours later, though, my finger started swelling up, was red, hot and ridiculously itchy. It wasn't quite this bad, but it was pretty close:



The next day was worse so I ended up calling the advice nurse who asked me if I was drooling or having difficulty breathing. I wasn't--would I wait on hold for ten minutes if I couldn't breathe?--but they asked me to come in anyway. Not sure why since all the doctor did was tell me I was having a normal reaction to a yellow jacket sting and that swelling and itching could go all the way up to my shoulder. I kid you not.

Today is 72 hours post-sting and my entire hand is still crazy itchy. This can last up to a week. Weep.


This is a yellow jacket's ass. Ouchy.

7 comments:

Jenn said...

Your tags say it all: piece of turd is my favorite!

I am so sorry! OWIEEEE! Smooches.

Sarah/Karen/Kristen said...

yes! this is what happened to me in israel. well, you could be relieved they didn't misdiagnose you and end up giving you IV antiobiotics? :) keep taking the antihistamines, they help!

Professional Critic said...

Thanks for the sympathy, Jenn!

Sarah, yes! I thought 'what if I have cellulitis or MRSA? I better go to the doctor.' But she was thoroughly unimpressed.

And, I had a nightmare last night that there was a yellow jacket nest in my bed.

Anonymous said...

pc, what is that on your other hand?

Professional Critic said...

I got married!!! Just kiddin', this isn't me, but some random internet ladies' hand.

batwinger said...

Eeew, those f*ckers are always hanging out near our beehive trying to get some free honey. Hate 'em.

Johnny Douglass said...

Hate those bastards. My wife just got hit on the hand with one yesterday and it looks just like the woman's hand in your picture.