Sunday, September 26, 2010

Whoopsie!

What it is, reader! As you can see, I keep forgetting that I have a blog to which I should occasionally post. So here I am to talk with you about an all-important topic: new fall shows. There are so many! Are any of them worth watching? Read on!

Outsourced: Did you see this movie? Cute-ish and watchable, perfect for a feverish/dozing sick day at home, it was better than the series pilot. Do all the Indian characters have to be so clownish? Why did the show have to throw in a white Australian woman as the love interest? Could the main character not have fallen in love with an Indian woman, as happened in the movie? Maybe they will surprise us but I won't be there to see it. Thumbs down.

Running Wilde: Reader, being a huge Arrested Development fan, I had some hopes for this show, despite my fear that it would suck. And suck it did, mightily. Keri Russell simply isn't a comedic actor, the dialogue is dumb and all of the Arrested Development conventions like the voice-over narrator and recycled dialogue, just feel forced. I want to give this a thumbs down, but my loyalty to AD will give it another begrudging try.

Detroit 1-8-7: Standard police procedural: moody detective with demons in the closet. A no-nonsense African-American boss-lady. Coworkers that find him mysterious and prickly but damn, he's good at his job. Sorry, Michael Imperioli, I adored you as Christafuh Moltisanti in The Sopranos but your new show illustrates all too painfully what a difference good writing makes. You definitely deserve your own show; I'm sorry this one isn't better. Thumbs down.

Raising Hope: This show has a somewhat shocking and crude premise, but I ended up laughing a lot. Lots of great folks in this one: Martha Plimpton, Cloris Leachman (whose shtick got old pretty quick) as her batty mother. Deadwood fans will recognize Garret Dillahunt as the dad, and burgeoning love interest Shannon Woodward who was terrific as daughter Di Di on The Riches. I will see where this goes.

And that's as far as I got with the new fall shows. I simply couldn't bring myself to watch the new Jimmy Smits vehicle, Outlaw, nor did I care about The Event, a Lost do-over. How about you, reader? What's on your watch list this fall?

1 comment:

batwing said...

Caillou, The Backyardigans, Zoboomafoo, and the Berenstain Bears. Yep, it's all Sprout TV, all the time, over here.