Monday, February 09, 2009

The Wrestler

I thought I was on the mend from a vile illness so I went out with some friends to see The Wrestler on Saturday. I've been wanting to see this ever since hearing a great interview with director Darren Aronofsky on NPR. You can listen to the podcast here. Aronofsky directed Pi and Requiem for a Dream, amongst others, and is married to gorgeous Rachel Weisz. Here's a totally gratuitous picture of Rachel:













So when I pictured Mickey Rourke, I kinda saw something like this, a scene from Body Heat:



Granted this was 1981. But something has contributed to his incredible transformation, far beyond what twenty plus years can do. There's speculation about plastic surgery gone wrong and steroid use, both of which he alternately confirms and denies.

Here's the trailer for The Wrestler:



See what I mean? Anyway, the movie was good, if by good you mean alternately devastating and depressing. I think he did a good job but not sure how his performance stacks against the other nominees. Sean Penn was wonderful in the role of Milk; the only other movie I have seen from that list. Marisa Tomei, who was also nominated for her role in The Wrestler, doesn't wear a lot in this movie, and although I was unmoved by her performance, she looks incredible.

I was fast asleep when this happened but Seth Myers is continuing the "Really" segment on Weekend Update that he did with the much missed Amy Poehler, this time taking aim at the stupid outrage surrounding Michael Phelps getting stoned:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, Darren Aronofsky is brilliant! I didn't realize that he directed Pi and Requiem. Requiem stayed with me for days and I was completely blown away by Ellen Byrstn's performance. This movie has left me with the same feeling and Rourke was equally amazing. Even the title song by Bruce Springsteen is painful to hear. As with Requiem, I don't know if I could see this movie again! Ah,good times.
Alizh

Professional Critic said...

Yeah, Requiem was really, really hard to watch. I need to find that Bruce song, I was so numb by the end of the movie that I didn't really hear it.