Thursday, October 30, 2008

Oh, Yes Indeedy

After the last presidential debate, the internets ran amok with disgusted commentary on McCain's contemptuous air quotes around the word "health," as in women's, natch. You can read this woman's spleen venting here. There are many moving stories, this one is among the best I've seen.

Our friends at The Daily Show hit one out of the park with their response. My favorite? Jon Stewart rechristening McCain's air quotes as "dick fingers." Exquisite, just one of many reasons I want to smooch Jon Stewart. Equal opportunity gets Sam Bee the same for: "People can disagree about abortion, but still agree about the unimportance of women's health."

How is this election going to turn out? Why is this even a question? Like David Sedaris, I don't get how anyone is undecided at this point:
To put them in perspective, I think of being on an airplane. The flight attendant comes down the aisle with her food cart and, eventually, parks it beside my seat. “Can I interest you in the chicken?” she asks. “Or would you prefer the platter of shit with bits of broken glass in it?”

To be undecided in this election is to pause for a moment and then ask how the chicken is cooked.

No comments: