Monday, August 25, 2008

Bitten by Bittman

Do you know Mark Bittman? He writes the NY Times blog, Bitten and is also the author of several cookbooks, How to Cook Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian.

If you've got about 20 minutes, it's worth it to watch his speech on what's wrong with what and how we eat. If you've ready any Michael Pollan, Marion Nestle, or Raj Patel, Bittman's message will sound familiar but it's pretty entertaining and illuminating all the same.

So I should be more excited that the Slow Food Nation event is happening next weekend in San Francisco but the whole thing just sounds ugh. I do want to see some of the speakers, like Joel Salatin, owner of Polyface Farm featured prominently in Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma, so I'll try to do that. The Taste Pavilions and talks are expensive and mostly sold out already and frankly any event featuring Alice Waters, as much as I deeply appreciate what she's done for the way Americans eat, makes me feel too tired to contemplate.

Whew, I sure do sound crabby! I am. But luckily I can turn to Cake Wrecks, a hilarious blog that chronicles the misadventures of professional bakeries. That doesn't sound funny at all, but trust me on this one, it is.

No comments: