Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Music Monday

I've been loading up my new mp3 player (not an iPod, that's a post for another day) and though it's hard to decide what CD to add next, I picked The Rolling Stones and right now I am reveling in their freaking awesomeness.

I never realized just how satisfying the pretty melodic piano/violin combo was. Obvs I'm not talking about their equally great but more peacocky, strutty stadium rock like Satisfaction. I mean like 1967's She's a Rainbow, which you might recognize from an old school Apple commercial:



Isn't it purdy and rocking out at the same time? How fun would it be to be a back up singer going "ooh lala, ooh lalala ah!"

And of course, the classic and wonderful 1973, Angie



Doesn't Charlie Watts look surprisingly alive?

Angie was later covered by the wacky n wonderful Tori Amos.



Don't get me wrong, I sorta do love the Stones cheeseball stuff, too. Emotional Rescue embraces the sublime and the ridiculous. (If you have epilepsy this clip might bother you):



The falsetto! Love. It. Also, so dirty: I was dreaming last night/Last night I was dreaming/How you'd be mine. I bet you were you filthy thing. But then, devolving into a bodice ripper romance: I will be your knight in shining armour/Riding across the desert with a fine Arab charger. Bleh. But that's the Stones for you. Every so often, or rather often, they drift ... or leap over the line into the corn field and that's one of the reasons I love them.

No comments: