Monday, March 31, 2008

A Good Burger, A Giant Turd

Tonight I made a super easy, cheap and healthy dinner, a great alternative to the bag of Costco salmon burgers that are convenient but mega-salty. Drained one can of Alaskan salmon, dumped into a bowl. It's full of skin and bones, which I just mash up (the calcium is good for you) but you could pick it out if it skeeves you out. I added a couple of handfuls of panko breadcrumbs, one beaten egg, a blob of mustard, and a sprinkle of salt and pepper. I would have added some chopped onion but my onions were already decomposing, too gross to even toss into the freezer veggie stock bag. I formed them into patties, fried them in a bit of olive oil, maybe 4-5 minutes on each side, until nicely browned, then served with a mix of mayo, mustard and lemon juice on nice bread or salad greens if that's how you roll.

If you're feeling fancy, you can add other stuff, fresh parsley or dill, maybe some finely chopped carrots or sweet potatoes, whatever you have that moves you. Think of it as meatloaf, open to interpretation and pretty forgiving. This made four modest size burgers, so once they cooled, I put two in the freezer.


The giant turd of the night is the utter crap show New Amsterdam. I wrote about this last June after reading about the new Fox show based on the Pete Hamill book Forever. I predicted it would be terrible and well, it really is. What's freaky is that I just read in the Wiki entry that the writer of the show claims to have no knowledge of the Pete Hamill book, which is very very hard to believe. The show is so stinky, though, maybe Mr. Hamill is more than happy to be at distance.

No comments: