Sunday, March 11, 2007

What's New, Pussycat?

Until today, I had never heard the name Brad Delp. But I did know the Boston song More Than a Feeling. Do you know that one? 70s anthem? I see my Marianne walkin' awaaaayyyyheeeeeyyy (morphs into soaring guitar solo). That's Brad Delp, lead singer of Boston who died today of unknown causes at age 55.

I had to watch at least one episode of Pussycat Dolls Presents: The Search for the Next Doll. I picked a good one to watch, as this episode saw half the wannabe Dolls felled by a nasty stomach virus the day before the elimination audition. What a spectacle: half dressed girls moaning and clutching their stomachs, lamenting the bad luck of becoming ill on the cusp of achieving their lifelong dream of becoming a Pussycat Doll. Have the Pussycat Dolls been around long enough to inspire anyone's lifelong dream? I guess I have established my own hierarchy of stupid reality shows. I can accept America's Next Top Model, but not Doll. Oh well.

However, in this month's issue of Vanity Fair, I was disturbed to see a letter to the editor from the Writer's Guild of America, commenting on last month's highly complimentary article about Tyra. Apparently, when writers for ANTM (I know, who knew there were writers? But someone had to come up with the classic line, "I have five beautiful girls standing before me. But I only have four pictures.") tried to join the Guild for pay equity and health insurance, they were fired. I scoured the web for any comments Trya may have made abot the incident, but came up with nothing. Producer Ken Mok said they planned to go ahead with the show without writers, which doesn't seem like such a bad idea, but still. Do we need to add "union buster" to "supermodel" and "mogul" to Tyra's list of achievements?

No comments: