Monday, December 22, 2008

Professional Critic Gets Happy

Reader, these past few weeks I've traversed many peaks and valleys of the mood map, going from sobbing to perfectly content within a matter of moments and vice versa. I'm rolling with it. Yesterday I experienced nearly overwhelming happiness and gratitude. Really. It felt like I had taken ecstasy but I was absolutely sober. Keeping in the vein of love love love I'm going to post about things that I like. Don't worry, I'll be back to complaining shortly.

1. The return of science to the White House. Since George Bush's policy decisions reflected that he was no fan of facts this is welcome news for people who prefer that research direct us, not hunches and gut feelings.

2. Despair is a great site that beautifully mocks the gag-inducing Successories. I ended up buying some holiday gifts for my staff here and later saw this, which made me laugh really hard:



3. Many of the cute pictures and videos I post here come through Jezebel. I cannot get enough of baby hippo pics myself but turns out some Jez readers have been complaining that they're overdoing it with the cute. In response the editors featured Fuck You, Penguin, "a blog where I tell cute animals what's what." This is my favorite so far. It has a very Sopranos feel to it, don't you think?

4. New season of Flight of the Conchords is coming in January. Yesssss! Check out the first episode here:



If you just have a few minutes, check out one of their awesome songs, "Mutha Uckers:"




Or "I'm Not Crying:"


5. I've been digging "Love Lockdown" by Kanye West, in part because of the poignant lyrics. Really! It opens, "I'm not loving you the way I wanted to," which I thought was awfully honest of Kanye. I'm also grooving on the monotone/trance-like vibe. The video is a touch weird. I'm not sure how contemplating intimacy issues in his pristine house led Kanye to dream of tribal African dancers but this is about what I like, and I like this song, so here you go:



6. This. Yes.

No comments: