Saturday, March 29, 2008

Gray Weekend

Last night it was raining and today it's pretty dreary so I thought these pictures might make me feel like I'm in a beach town in Mexico, enjoying a sunset margarita on the rocks, minus the accompanying worry about vile water-borne illnesses.






It's not quite working, though, maybe because these pictures are actually of Mendocino and my neighbor's front yard.

What's better is a pot of stock simmering on the stove, filled with long-forgotten items from the freezer, random chicken thighs and a big bag of onion skins and withered carrots I had started in more ambitious times. But now I'm glad I never pitched those frost-bitten orphans--my house smells so good, rich and vegetable-y. Not sure how I'm going to use the finished stock but right now I'm perfectly content, no margarita needed.

No comments: