Saturday, January 26, 2008

Did You Know?

I'm told that ongoing posts about my cats are boring. Apologies, reader. Since this is certainly not one of the disparagingly named "mommy blogs" in which one may wax poetic about every antic of one's dependents, it's time to move on.

So, onward. Did you know that Hillary Clinton served on the board of Wal-Mart for six years? I didn't, and yes, this does change how I feel about her. I mean, gah, has she not seen The High Cost of Low Price? I don't know if she's addressed this issue in any of her campaigning and I'm frankly too lazy right now to go looking. The New York Times endorsed Hillary yesterday and while I didn't disagree with many of their reasons exactly, I still felt a little disappointed. I'm not even voting in the primary, as I'm not a registered Democrat and before I knew that I could still vote in the primary, I had already sent in my absentee ballot, giving my two cents on issues I really don't understand. Oh well.

My new issue of Budget Travel features an article about "poverty tourism," a new branch of the travel industry in which groups of presumably middle class or wealthy folks are taken into poor areas across the world. On the one hand, why not? Supports the local economy, broadens the horizons of folks. On the other hand ... icky. What do you think about this?

Check out links to the right. I've added a few and categorized so you can fritter away your workday in a more organized fashion. You're welcome.

No comments: