Friday, November 16, 2007

Un Parfum des Sens et Bois

I've spent most of the morning with my nose attached to my wrist. I can't decide if I want to eat my arm or make a pass at myself. We've reached the next delightful stop on our scent journey, Un Parfum des Sens et Bois. Perfume of the Senses and Wood? I'm sure there's a more musical way to translate this, but I'll have to leave that for a French speaker to do. All I know is that I just reapplied this perfume at 10:30 even though I am going to bed soon because it smells so good, mmmm.

Here's one review of Sens et Bois:

Curls of smoke wind their way through spiced woody
gardens

“White violet blended with Chinese Cedar wood and sprinkled with black pepper. This scent tells a story of seduction and sensuality laced with mysterious and liquorous patchouli, and tiny curls of incense that entice you into their captivity…”

Huh. Yeah, I was going to say that next, right after I figured out whether "liquorous" was a word. Whatevs. This stuff smells good, but the people that say it smells masculine, they don't lie. Lizh smelled this, gave a tremendous nose wrinkle and said, "Ugh, too strong." I smell this on my t-shirt a day later and growl, "C'mere, lover."

But we did learn something from this scent, too (other than that I need to get my nose out of my dirty laundry and get a life): elemi, a tree whose resin of the same name constitutes some of the Sens et Bois loveliness. Here's our edumacational point of the day: Because of its drying and conserving properties, elemi was used by the ancient Egyptians for embalming their dead.

One site also mentioned that elemi is used to treat catarrh, an illness I thought went out of fashion after Death in Venice. Now I need to go off on a tangent here, bear with me: the object of homo love in Death in Venice is Tadzio, whose name later shows up in Grey Gardens, by homo singer songwriter Rufus Wainwright, who recently wrote music for the launch of Antidote, the first men's perfume by Viktor and Rolf. See how it all comes back to perfume? It's like six degrees of Kevin Bacon, except having nothing whatsoever to do with Kevin Bacon.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm coming down with an attack of the vapors and if I don't tend to it, I think my bile humor will overflow until I'm prostrate with nervous hysteria.

Un Parfum des Sens et Bois: A.

No comments: